Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Some ideas about an upcoming body of work... please comment and criticize

In a world where an abandoned bag warrants a bomb squad locking down a train station, a drop in the Dow Jones compelling me to take my life saving out of the bank and stuffing them in my mattress, a planet that is flooding, burning and suffocating to death, a and a shifting of military and political dominance, there is a sense of omnipresent doom that permeates all facets of my life. On the surface, this apocalyptic ethos can be contributed to the news and commercial media’s grip on my mind at all times. Yet these media based influences are the byproducts of something bigger at hand. News and commercials propaganda are tools of established institutions to generate revenue via the exploitation of a market. They simply supply a demand. The demand is psychological, and based on fear. Fear is the core of humanity as an entity, and has influenced our development as a species from day one.
I’d like to explore contemporary American “human fears” and trace them back from a given point. Since it is my belief that cosmic history is cyclical and repeated in varying formats, it is not important where I begin my exploration. Therefore I will start with the historical event that is most relevant to my own fear; 9/11. From there I will examine the other historical events that have led me to feel the way I do about American’s role in the world, as both individuals making personnel decisions, to larger scale government and corporate policies (that are in fact a result of our combined personnel decisions). To conclude this body of work, I will create an image that will presuppose the fruition of the most relevant American fear.
In terms of execution, I would like to work in a constructionist mode, building and photographing sets. The images will be aestheticized frozen moments of time that are, slightly abstracted in composition, yet very realistic.

My biggest point is to address the fact that human beings have always been and will always be in state of apocalyptic-fear, and that it is an inherent part of the human condition. By aestheticizing this fact, I will hopefully make the situation easier to address for an already uneasy audience.

No comments: